Woohoo for Week Two + *sad face*

Week Two of training for the Legend 70 went great!

Since Week One was a little weak-sauce, I aimed for perfection for week two.  I stuck to my eating, relaxing and training plans to a "T".

Monday - Took a 2.5 mile walk on the treadmill while watching The Walking Dead, stretch and foam rolled.  I did 30 minutes of yoga after work and let myself have some time to relax and decompress.

Tuesday - Jumped out of bed for a 45 minute run and a 20 minute strength routine.  Still was struggling a little bit with tight chestedness from last week, but we got through it.
Tuesday PM - went to the pool for a 45 minute swim.  My friend who just had bariatric surgery went with me and did her pool laps, too.  I am really proud of her!

Wednesday - woke up a bit tired from heavy training the day before, but put my best effort into a 45 minute bike and 15 minute run.  If you do them one right after the other it's called a "brick."

Thursday - A tired 45 minute bike ride followed by 20 minutes of injury preventing strength training.
Thursday PM - 45 minutes in the pretty-brand new pool down at the southernmost YMCA.  My neighbor went and walked on the aqua track.

Friday - BlessedAmazingGlorious Rest Day!!  I spent some time contemplating the cut-off times for the race and can absolutely complete it in time *phew*  I also remembered to give myself a little kudos for overcoming my fear of open water swimming, in 2017.  That was tough but I am tougher!

Saturday - 1 hour and 45 minutes on the bike trainer, while watching Terminator 3.  I ride the trainer alot.  I have a very small window of time to do my groove-thang and if the weather isn't nice enough for the gear that I have, then I'm indoors.  I took the aero-bars off my bike and corrected the stack height and seat angle & position.  I had forgotten how comfortable my bike was!  I guess my back had other ideas and it kept spasming and being dumb.  I could barely get up the stairs after I was done.  Saturday was ROUGH.

Sunday - 1 hour and 15 minute treadmill run.  Yeah, I know.  But running doesn't hurt!  Just, walking, bending, sitting, breathing and thinking...does...  We also had a long day out getting ready for the church's annual performance of This Day of Resurrection.  When we got home, I was toast.

And that's where our adventure for Week Two, ends.  I'm really proud of myself that I didn't eat my feelings and I utilized the yoga space I made for myself.  I got all of my training logged and Garmin tells me that I burned 4, 556 calories!  Woohoo for Week Two.

Let's just go ahead and talk about Week Three while were here.  It's actually not week three.

It's week nothing.  My training for this particular race - is over.

I went to bed Sunday night feeling like a truck hit me.  My back was hurting, but I'd been stretching...I just figured I needed a good nights sleep.  No sleep came.  Pain, tossing and turning, sweats, chills and yes, Virginia, I even got sick.  Needless to say, I called in dead on Monday and thought gee whiz, that minor back strain sure got the best of me.

In the early afternoon, I decided it was time to shower and dress and feel better.  See how I can do that?  FEEL BETTER ANDREA.  >ok<  When the nice warm water started, I stood in the shower and let it hit my legs...and it burned like someone poured acid on my left calf.

NO - OH LORD - PLEASE NOT NOW - AGAIN!?!

Cellulitis Part Deux 2018.

I know it seems dramatic, but this infection KILLS PEOPLE.  Even with antibiotics, today, like here and now in this time.  A hundred years ago - fugetaboutit - I'd be DEAD.  This particular instance is only six weeks past the last (more minor) incident and has been the worst I've ever had.  It's now Wednesday (I think) and I'm typing this from my hospital room.  I will most definitely miss this week of work and I will probably only be well enough to actually go to work next week - no fixing dinner, no workouts, nothing but rest and healing.  So that's two weeks without workouts.  I consulted my training book to see what to do when you miss workouts while training for a Half Ironman.

Here's a paraphrased excerpt:

One to two days of missed training - If you cannot fit these workouts in on a scheduled rest/slide day, just skip them and move on.  Don't risk injury by doubling up on workouts.

Three to four missed days - Again, skip the missed days, but do half the workout on the first day back and resume full training after the second day back.

Five to six days - Skip the missed days, but on the first two days back to training only do one third of the workout.  On the next two days, only two thirds.  On day five, resume normal training.

Seven or more missed days - Reconsider the timing of your goal and consider a major redesign of your training program.

So that's it, then.  I will email Legend Triathlon and scale back to the Olympic distance in June.  I will follow the 8 week program in my book for that.  I think I'll follow the Competitive Plan and try to PR over last year.  And...there's always the Ad Astra 70 in September. My next race is the Lincoln Half Marathon, why not see if we can put a sweet little PR on that one, too?

I'm not giving up.  No way.  This is just a setback and we all know what that is...

A SET UP for a COME BACK.

I'm going to keep my nutrition clean, my workouts solid and my attitude positive.  Not stopping.  NOT stopping.  NOT. STOPPING.


Ok...I'm stopping for two weeks to heal my leg - but AFTER THAT! ;o)  Thanks for reading!

Comments

  1. Andrea I am so sorry that you had to put off your Ironman goal but I am so glad that you have another goal!! I have put my dreams of triathlon training on hold til I am down a bit more weight as my knee realllly doesn't like jogging Praying for your healing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep up the great work, Elaine! Thanks for your supportive comments. ❤️

      Delete
  2. You're still a hero. And you will get that tri. I'm sorry it won't be just yet. Do not give up. Have I ever told you my life verse? Romans 8:37. Yep. You.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lincoln Marathon Race Report

Last Blast Lincoln Y Tri Race Report