Week One Training Recap


The first week of training didn’t go exactly as planned.  I try not too be hard on myself because that’s what people  say “aw, don’t be so hard on youself.”  The reality is that I am EXTREMELY hard on myself.  I no longer say terrible things to myself or “beat myself up” but I hold myself to a super-human standard with nothing less than absolute 100% adherence revered as victory.

Ahem.  Okay.  Now that we got that out of the way…here’s the reality.

Monday – got up and did my scheduled walk and stretch.  Monday is an optional day for making up missed workouts or taking a rest day, but I usually walk and watch The Walking Dead episode that came out the night before.  Get it – walking with TWD?  I wasn’t feeling great, still – my chest felt congested and I only made it one mile instead of two with a long stretch after.

Tuesday – I took completely off.  I had a scare on Monday morning with not being able to catch my breath and I thought maybe I damaged myself by pushing too hard in Sunday’s indoor sprint tri.  So, I missed a run, weights session and a swim first crack out of the box. Tuesday was February 27th and February's mileage was just above toilet standard.  I decided to double down for a flawless March.

Wednesday – Feeling better, I did my 45/15 bike to run brick.  My little daughter had been running a fever, so I left work at noon and took her in to the doctor.  Influenza B! Tamilflu for the whole dang family!!  Maybe that’s why I wasn’t feeling well.

Thursday – Run and weights in the morning swim in the evening.  I got a stupid phone call from a stupid person that I asked (very nicely, I might add) to leave me alone so many stupid times that it’s just freaking STUPID.  It’s amazing how a person can ruin your day. Thankfully, there wasn’t much left of mine and I just went to bed.  I tried to turn the pain into peace and it worked for the most part.  At least I got some sleep.

Friday – Rest day.  I always sleep in and take a 100% rest day on Friday.  It. Is. Glorious.

Saturday – Rode the bike on the indoor trainer for 1:15.  I need to remove my homespun aerobar installation / modifications and put my little Trek 1.2 back to being a road bike.  It’s pretty uncomfortable that way (I have made every adjustment and modification I can think of) and will probably be a handling nightmare once I get it off the trainer.  Riding in that position is okay for an hour and I can get through it – but I have to be prepared for 3 and 4 hour training rides in just over a month.  My bike has been comfy for thousands of miles - I'll wait to get into aero until I can get a tri bike.

Sunday – Ran an hour outside!  It was dreary and cloudy and windy and a little cold but it was OUTSIDE.

So workouts went okay – nutrition wasn’t too terrible.  I admit, I was feeling a little sorry for myself on Thursday night and again on Sunday night.  I feel like life is making itself way to fricking hard right now.  Chill out, life.  Chill. Out.

In keeping with my idea to have a yoga break to help alleviate stress, I made a little area in our bedroom that will work great.  I don’t need my more than about a foot on either side of the mat and just a room I can close the door on.  I don’t slow down very well – but the reality is that people like me less and less the faster I go. Weird – I like me more the faster I go.  *shrug*

So week one I’d give myself a 75% on.  I felt I put forth about 75% effort – some under circumstances I can’t control, but about 10% was me just diving in to self-pity to wallow around for a while.  It's hard when you want to change how you behave and react to things.  The first step is accepting that I am responsible for making it what it is.  Then, I can go about changing it.

Here's to a wonderful Week Two!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Woohoo for Week Two + *sad face*

Lincoln Marathon Race Report

Last Blast Lincoln Y Tri Race Report