2016 Plans in Tri

I just love a new year!  So full of possibilities!  I'm not necessarily a resolution setter, but I am one who likes a fresh start.  2015 was a great year for me personally.  It was really, really, hard, but it was a great and wonderful teacher.  I learned oh, so much about limitations and how those can actually help you grow!  I have long been one to bow up my back against any and all limits, hurdles, or things trying to stop me.  How dare it!  But this year I finally, finally, learned a lesson that God has been trying to teach me for a long time.  Even I have a limit.

Enough of that, let's move on to the new year! On Saturday June 4, 2016 I will go for finish #2 of  IronMorton 70.3!  This is one of my homspun events that satisfies the distance requirement without costing me a small fortune.  A comprable event in Boulder Colorado costs $300 just for the entry fee...not to mention travel, hotel, meals, etc.

Point of information - if you aren't sure what a 70.3 triathlon is, here is some basics:

A triathlon is always in the same order of swim, then bike, and finally run.  There are also duathlons which are simply biking and running and there are aquabikes which, as the name implies are swims followed by bike rides.  But let's not get too far off the path..A 70.3 or Half Iron distance triathlon is this:

Swim = 1.2 miles... which is roughly 1900 meters or 2075 yards of  swimmy goodness.

Bike = 56 miles...beautiful time on the bike to look at the Nebraska countryside!

Run = 13.1 miles...why the point one..??  Well, I guess so it's an official half marathon.

Total = 70.3 miles of AWESOME! :)

Questions you may be wanting to ask include (no, not the one about my sanity) - How long will this take?  I won't go in to how long it takes the pro people...or the fast people...or the skinny people...or the young people...I'm not any of those people.  I am me!  So for ME, this is how it breaks down:

Swim = about 45 - 50 minutes.  This is the first leg of the journey and is essentially the warm up.

Bike = 3:30 to 3:45. All depends on the weather, traffic, how many stops, etc.

Run = 2:45 - this works out to a 12:30 average pace.  I plan to run one mile and walk one minute, rinse and repeat.

Total = 7 to 7.5 hours of triathaFUN!

I plan to train on a 20 week plan which will start on January 17th.  I'm already doing what is called "base building" and involves getting my nutrition reigned in nice and close AND making sure my body is comfortable with minimum safe distances in each discipline before adding more.  I've been base building since November 1st, and I have a pretty good foundation laid so far.

Well, there we go - I think I'm ready to start!

One of my favorite topics is triathlon.  Feel free to ask me any questions!  I also would love for some local folks to come along with me in June and swim, bike or run a bit with me.  Think about it - I could especially use the support on the run.  That's when things get sketchy...

What are your plans for the new year?  If you had all the time and money in the world, what would you do?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lincoln Marathon Race Report

Woohoo for Week Two + *sad face*

Maximum Pressure - Achieved