Goal Assessment for 2012

Welp.  I slipped while getting out of the pool this week and cracked my shin a good one.  It didn't heal up very well and developed into an infection requiring treatment with strong antibiotics and pain pills.  Neat.

My ouchie.
Due to this fact, there will be no more workouts in 2012.  So, while I'm relegated to bed I may as well tally up the miles for the year.

In December of last year, I set a pretty lofty goal of 1,500 miles.  I decided that I wanted to start the sport of Triathlon and would add total amounts for all three disciplines.  The 1,500 mile goal made me swallow hard.  Learning how to swim laps without choking mid-lane made me swallow harder.

I decided to break it out into monthly goals and try to achieve those smaller portions.  I did fairly well, but missed my running goal by 43 miles.

Here's how it broke down:

Swimming - Goal:    68           Actual:     76
Cycling     - Goal:  900           Actual:  1292
Running    - Goal:  600           Actual:    557        
     
Totals Miles for 2012     -    1,925 miles

I am really surprised to have exceeded my mileage goal!  David and I trained for and rode our first Century Ride, so that really helped the cycling miles and bolstered the overall total.  I am sad that I missed my running goal - but keeping track over the course of the year sure showed how I need to be more consistent!

DailyMile.com is where I kept track...and on a spreadsheet.  Only minor discrepancies.

I was so close to 2,000 miles in 2012, that I think I'm going to go for it in 2013.  In 2012 I completed two Sprint distance triathlons (500 swim, 12 bike, 3 run) and one Olympic (1500 swim, 25 bike, 6 run), a Half Marathon, and a Century Ride.  In the upcoming year, I would like to do two Olympics and a full Marathon along with at least one Century Ride.  I really think 2,000 miles is an attainable goal.

Another thing I would like to do within the yearly goal, is to really pay attention to the monthly totals.  I can really see where I muddled up my running goal mileage.  I spent a lot of January and February in the pool, and much of May and June on the bike, preparing for events.  I need to maintain my running while training for non-running events.

Fitness wise, I'm very happy with 2012.  Frankly, the athlete that I was last year at this time couldn't keep up with the me of now.  I am still slower than most - but I'm faster than I was and that's saying a lot!

I'm ready to make progress again in 2013!

Comments

  1. Wow your spreadsheet puts mine to shame!! Good work friend! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lincoln Marathon Race Report

Woohoo for Week Two + *sad face*

Maximum Pressure - Achieved