Fitting in Success

So.

You have a job, a family, church and social obligations and you want to "get healthy," "eat better," and lose 30 pounds.

Impossible.  Not enough hours in the day.  No time.

Right?

Wrong.  Impossible without compromise, to be sure.  But what things do you compromise?  What tasks do you delegate, which do you defer?  How on earth do you fit another "thing" into your day?

Here are a few tips from a busy Me of how to fit it all in and succeed.

Just Say No

I know, cliche.  But it has to be done.  You can't coach soccer on Tuesday, lead AWANA on Wednesday, do Bible study on Thursday and grocery shop on Friday evenings and still have any time for workouts.  Sure, you can get up at 4:30am, but that's ONLY if you agree to go to bed by 9pm.  At the latest.  You must make your fitness a priority.  It must be scheduled and worked around.  You are worth it!

Change Your Mind

I hate broccoli...I can't run...I'm not a morning person...I was never athletic in high school...I have bad genes...These things are real.  And changeable.  You can learn to cook broccoli, go to bed earlier and get up earlier, learn to be athletic, and - well the genetics thing - that just doesn't wash with me.  My whole family is overweight and not prone to fitness.  I wanted to be fit.  I changed my mind.  Maybe my children will see their "genetics" differently than I saw mine.

Plan Ahead

Our lives are FULL of things that we want and are obligated to do.  Just fitting in a 30 minute walk is a monumental task in a person's day.  You must plan your day.  Can you put something in the crockpot or have leftovers to ensure that you have time when hubby comes home to work out?  Maybe your older children would like to take control of the cooking and cleaning up duties a couple of days a week.  Maybe you can walk home from church or ride your bike to and from a meeting.  If you make it a priority, your family and friends will, as well.

Take Control

A Mamma is on call 24/7.  If left to the whimsy of your family and friends, you would be whistling while you work every hour of every day.  If things are going to change, things are going to have to change.  You will either have to get up before everyone, stay up later than they do, or enlist the help of your husband, your mother or your oldest child to get that workout in.  Again, if it's important to you, it will be important to them.

Take it Easy

Yeah, you didn't see that one coming.  Take it easy with the "lifestyle change!"  The worst thing that you can do is decide that you are going to quit smoking, start running and become vegetarian all in one week.  Make small changes once a month to really make a difference.  Maybe this month you will go out for a 15 minute walk after dinner.  Next month you can decide to cut out soda pop, or sweets.  Whatever it is - just take it SLOW.

I hope these tips can help you.  I know they have helped me!  Now plan something in the crock cooker and tell the fam you need to get your walk in tomorrow night.  You are worth good health!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lincoln Marathon Race Report

Woohoo for Week Two + *sad face*

Maximum Pressure - Achieved