You Are What You Eat

I grew up eating fairly healthily.  My Mom was a Weight Watchers Lifetime Member, and we watched our servings of fruits and vegetables.  

As a young adult, I did what most people do and tried to eat as cheaply as possible.  At that time, I could buy 10 Totinos Pizzas, a box of cereal and some frozen burritos for $20 - and that was good for the week.  I was thin, but inactive - unless you count 12oz arm curls.

Fast forward to now when we are knee deep in milk drinking, produce munching, young people and struggle to  afford food that provides proper nutrition.  We buy 20lbs of apples per week.  Five gallons of milk.  Fifteen pounds of bananas.  Four loaves of bread.  I've tried to buy organic/free range/grass fed for our crew.  For years...I've price matched, couponed, shopped around, it's just too darn expensive.

Good thing.  I don't want our kids growing up to be jerks.

According to a new study entitled Wholesome Foods and Wholesome Morals? Organic Foods Reduce Prosocial Behavior and Harshen Moral Judgments, people who choose organic foods might just be looking down their nose at those that don't.

I get it.  Organic food is good for the environment and better for you.  No pesticides or chemicals has GOT to be a good thing. 

One thing I always laugh at is these Food Snobs that actually eat like crap.  Yes, that cookie may be made with organic flour and sweetened with the finest organic cane juice (um, sugar) but it's still a COOKIE.  Maybe I'm just making myself feel better - but I think that eating as much fresh and unprocessed food as you can trumps organic "stuff" any day.

Just my thoughts.  What do you think?



Comments

  1. I think it's really difficult to make a positive correlation between an organic diet and pro-social behavior based on an entirely different research question. No other factors, such as income or education, has been controlled for. As such, I think it judgemental of the article to suggest an organic diet leads one to become less altruistic. That being said, it would be interesting to see what research did find once all relevant factors were controlled for. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lincoln Marathon Race Report

Woohoo for Week Two + *sad face*

Maximum Pressure - Achieved