The Long Way Home

This post will be about running.

Still reading?

Today, the schedule called for an 11 mile run.  Last week I did 10 (on the treadmill, oh man, somebody shoot me!), and the week before was 8.5.  I was confident that I could complete the run, but mentally I was very resistant.  I just didn't wanna.

Hubby plotted a course for me that took me in a circuitous route around the south portion of our city.  We are fortunate to have around 80 miles of running and cycling trails to work with, here.  I have biked something like this before, so I was familiar with most of the course.

I tried not to think about this run during worship service this morning.  I tried to focus on the book of 1 Peter during Sunday school and NOT the run.  I found out that one of our team mates from Market to Market will be pacing the 2:15 group for the half marathon that I signed up for in May...and then I couldn't NOT think about today's run!

After church, the weather was just gorgeous for a run, about 45 degrees and no wind.  I wouldn't have minded some sunshine, but in January in Nebraska that would have been way to much to ask for.  I tried to look at the beauty of the city, convince myself that this was fun, blah, blah, blah.

After mile 3, I got out my headphones and turned on the music.  I normally don't run with music, but today I just couldn't stand the sound of my footfalls or the bouncing of my hydration pack.

By mile 5, I finally got my groove.  I started the slow climb up South 48th Street, and took in the sights of my old stomping grounds.  I thought about being a kid in that neighborhood and prayed for some folks that used to live next door when I was growing up.

I popped in to a convenience store about mile 6 to use the potty and fill up my water.  I hadn't drank very much yet, because it was so cool outside.  I tied my shoe and all told, probably spent 2 minutes in there.  The 12 year old  kid running the register wished me "good running" and I was off again.

I was supposed to turn west on Pioneers Blvd, but forgot and ran all the way down to the trail that runs along Highway 2.  I didn't realize this for quite some time, and by that time it would have been pointless to back track or reroute.  I headed to where the trail turned north and was at about mile 8.

Those last 3 miles I felt good.  Really, really good.  Good enough to run miles 9, 10 and 11 at faster and faster paces.  This is called running negative splits, if you care.  I did start to have a hot spot on the ball of my right foot by the last mile or so, but that has been "the pain" for this training cycle.  I ignore it for the most part.

When I had completed 11 miles, I was at the Lincoln Children's Zoo, and sadly still 1.5 miles from home.  I text hubby so he wouldn't worry (he figured on me being gone 2 hours) and he came and picked me up.  As soon as I started walking, and cooling down, I started to get cold.  I was glad to see him!  I'm sure I could have run the rest of the way home, but it was nice to be cared for. :)

This was the fastest I've ever run this distance and the fastest average pace for anything over a 10k (6.2 miles).  I even beat my average pace for 10 miles from last week by :35/mile.  Being outdoors vs. being on the treadmill probably has something to do with that!

Feeling pretty darn confident.  This next week is a low mileage week to give my body time to recover.  I will just be doing some slow 4 milers and of course getting in my swimming, spinning and yoga!  All praise God for the safety and health I was afforded today.

Now, what's to eat around here?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lincoln Marathon Race Report

Woohoo for Week Two + *sad face*

Maximum Pressure - Achieved