I Need These!

I am constantly amazed when I see people smoking. How can you STILL not know how bad that is for you!? I started smoking when I was 14 and puffed away until age 29. When I was 20 or so, smoking was outlawed in public places in my state. At age 23, my Dad died of lung cancer from smoking. I continued to struggle and puff away until, finally, the Lord removed my desire to smoke. No kidding. I'll tell the story some time - it's kooky...and if you ever smoked, you'd know my quitting couldn't be from any other power.

Anywho - as an athlete, now - when I run through a cloud of cigarette smoke, it makes me gag. It's not just the stinky smell, and toxic fumes, but I get a little miffed. I NEED my lungs! I understand (and care) that my lungs take in oxygen and it is passed on to my muscles. My muscles (my heart!) are needed to use those legs for running and biking, and my arms for swimming.

My lungs might be the most important organ in my body for all of the activities I want to do. It stinks that I messed them up. I've read that your lungs do heal over time. After 5 years, my risk of stroke is that of a non-smoker and my risk of cancer is cut in half. I wonder what kind of runner I could be if I hadn't smoked for 15 years...oh well, all I can do is go from here - and try to avoid the clouds!


Comments

  1. I smoked for 12 years. I quit in 2008. Its been a true blessing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lincoln Marathon Race Report

Woohoo for Week Two + *sad face*

Maximum Pressure - Achieved