A Matter of Time

"Transition is a battle, no question about it. You have to decide if the future matters. Because what you do right now, every day -- meals and exercise (or the lack thereof) will determine your future." ---- Tony Horton

I saw this quote today and this - "You have to decide if the future matters." - really got to me. That's what it comes down to for every choice I make.

DOES the future matter?

Will it matter in the future if I smoke a cigarette today? Will it matter if I put toxins in my body like saturated fat and aspartame? Will it matter in the future if I do not exercise? Will my future be effected if I don't maintain an appropriate weight?

I was never a future thinker. Nope, not me. Not gonna live past 25, I said, anyway. And I didn't care. In my teens and early 20's I was depressed and full of self loathing. I stood for nothing and blew any which way the wind took me. I tried it all and it all came up short for filling the void.

It wasn't until I was about to turn 30 (and was, indeed still alive) that I started to contemplate my fate at 40 or 50. So I quit smoking to try for a little damage control. I had lost some weight - but only for aesthetic purposes! Isn't it ALL about looking good, after all...ha, ha.

Lately, looking eye to eye with 35, I've started contemplating my fate at 60 or 70. I now have 4 children, and want very badly to be able to enjoy our youngest son's children when I'm in my 60's. I've started looking in to ways to prevent bone loss, keep my heart strong, and stay limber. I am very interested in current research in to foods that keep the body young and healthy - and foods that cultivate disease.

It's funny how your perspective changes with time. My future DOES matter. And with one positive choice after another, it's going to shine!

Comments

  1. Great Tony Horton quote. Had to share that quote on facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really put a fine point on it for me. Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post. I am exactly where you were-- and at the same age (29). NOW I want to be better! I also quit smoking, and am looking toward a healthy thinner future! So glad to be walking this walk beside you! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lincoln Marathon Race Report

Woohoo for Week Two + *sad face*

Maximum Pressure - Achieved