Boredom

I heard a quote today that really said what I have always wanted to say about BOREDOM but could never quite put into the right words.

"Boredom is the desire for desires." -Leo Tolstoy

A brilliant writer, Mr. Tolstoy got it right. If you're bored, it's because you are wasting time wishing for wishes. You can't even think of anything to do, so you do nothing.

The phrase "I'm bored" bothers me from the youngest person's lips to the oldest. When a kid says it, it most likely mean "I don't want to do what I know I should do." But when an adult says it - it either means "I can't go do what I really want to do" or "I'm not brave enough to do anything else."

Sad. I hear it a lot from Moms. I don't think they mead that they are bored though. Life is one thing after another. Sometimes it's the same thing. For weeks. Or months. Years, even. But who's folly is that? You're own I say.

Life is an exciting adventure! There are twists and turns of events, hair raising descents, and grueling reward-filled ascents. Each day you wake up you are given a whole day to sit down, shut up and hold on.

But you have to get out of bed. You have to be willing to walk out the front door of you life and step off the porch. Nothing is going to happen to you if you stay in bed rhythmically breathing out the days of your life with your eyes closed and your head under the covers.

How boring.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lincoln Marathon Race Report

Woohoo for Week Two + *sad face*

Maximum Pressure - Achieved