Rest Banking

It occurred to me to day that I am more well rested and less stressed than I have been in probably all of my adult life. I was reading my book during Nap Time and had dozed for a few minutes. My mind was wandering and contemplating meals for next week, Thanksgiving and what we are bringing to the church pot-luck and dessert auction.

I was floating through my mind, thinking of recipes and friends, family and good times. I snapped-to and realized that I should probably get a little housework done before the house came alive again.

I folded the warm blanket laid accross my lap and put my bookmark back in the book. All at once I thought of my blog and the fact that I hadn't for a while. I also thought of this topic and that in a few short months I will be longing for a nice rest on the couch during nap time, and the feeling that I am well rested.

So why is it, that we can't somehow store the extra rest we get. I guess maybe the rest I have been so blessedly afforded lately isn't necessarily "extra" - in the sense that our yet to be born youngest child probably needs it. But I remembered with a start what that first couple of months is like with a newborn.

I remember after Susan was born and she wasn't sleeping, I nearly ran over someone on a bicycle and pulled out in front of a car in traffic because I honestly didn't see either. That was the day that I bought a portable swing, actually watched "The Happiest Baby on the Block" DVD that someone gave me and slept for the first 5 hour stretch in months. I'm stubborn, but I can be taught.

Anyway - I was just pondering sleep deprivation and wondering why God made it so that we couldn't store it up. As rested as I am right now, if I stay up to late tonight, my workout in the morning is going to be tough and I'm going to be cranky. Sleep doesn't keep.

So why do calories keep so well???

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lincoln Marathon Race Report

Woohoo for Week Two + *sad face*

Transparency