Thank God for Work

I went home after work yesterday and simply attacked my son's room. He has a room in our finished attic. He actually has two beds up there and more space that any kid needs. Consequently, it gets cluttered. Little boys bring home all sorts of sticks, rocks and broken items that sit as revered treasure for a time and then fall off the dresser and litter the floor.

More than that is the issue of one terribly ignored parakeet whose cage has been in desperate need of cleaning – causing feathers and seeds to be strewn about. Those little feathers just stick to everything! I take full responsibility for this. I have not shown him how to clean the cage, each time it has been done because it had gone to long and I have just done it myself.

I started with the clothes on the floor. Liam did a good job of getting rid of things that he didn't love of play with anymore. I am a FlyLady lover and use her approach to my cleaning. Although, if I had used her system all along with his room it never would have been in such a state! Liam got everything out from under the bed and kept saying how dusty things were.

We stripped both beds and washed the bedding, cleaned that bird cage and dusted, swept and mopped the hardwood floors. After supper, the bedding was all dry (Liam put it from the washer to the dryer) and I made his beds. When he went up to bed, he came back down and thanked me SO much for helping him. It was a big dirty job and looked so great when it was done!

As tired as I was last night, when I prayed with the children I thanked God for work. It felt good to be of use. When it was all done I felt accomplished and like I had made our home a safer and healthier place. I was blessed and gleaned true satisfaction from a job well done.

Children (and adults) often look at chores and work as punishment. We often times feel under appreciated and over worked. And while in some cases that may be true, work is intended by God to be a blessing. The first chapter in the Bible is a play by play account of our Creator doing a job and creating the universe and everything in it.

John 5:17 Jesus said to them, "My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I, too, am working."

I don't know, some times I get lazy. God was really speaking to me thorough circumstance and the Bible that I need to stay on top of things and not tire. That work is good and while I may need to rest periodically, I need to be grateful for it and continue on to His Glory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lincoln Marathon Race Report

Woohoo for Week Two + *sad face*

Maximum Pressure - Achieved