It's Me, Thinking Again

It's fall - my absolute favorite season of the year! Our wedding anniversary is on September 23, the first day of Autumn. I love the cooler weather, the warm soups and breads, the holidays - all but one.

Halloween.

I used to love that holiday. Little kids, dressed up as spooky little goblins (hahaha) and going door to door for literally POUNDS of candy! We weighed the kids' candy one year and that pillow case honestly weighed 8 pounds.

Last year I caught wind of some disention coming from my husband. He said that he's never been a big fan of scary movies or scary, creepy, icky stuff. I used to love me a good, bloody horror movie - but since I've gotten a little older, I can do without. There is enough real life horror that I don't need to see it fabricated.

So I did what any responsible Momma would do. I started my research. I looked on the internet and read website after website of statements, history, and factual accounts as to the origins of Halloween. I decided to take the Bible seriously and "Test everything. Hold on to the good." 1 Thessalonians 5:21

I started to get scared.

What I discovered was that there really is no redeeming value in Halloween. While I had always participated under the guise of "just for fun" if you take a look at it on the surface, even, it's not one percent good. Witches, devils, demons, sorcery, witchcraft and divination. Hmmm...while I'm certainly not going to practice any of that - what am I telling God by participating in a holiday that glorifies the same?

Avoid every kind of evil. 1 Thessalonians 5:22 (There's the rest of that verse for ya) Kind of freaked me out.

So the good news is, you have some time. There's a good 5 or 6 weeks before Halloween. There's time for you to research it and come to the conclusion yourself. If you think It's harmless, I would challange you to stop being led to the slaughter by the heifer in the front of the line and find out for yourself.

Here's a nicely put together, objective history of this holiday.

http://www.jeremiahproject.com/culture/halloween.html

As for me and my house, we will follow the LORD.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lincoln Marathon Race Report

Woohoo for Week Two + *sad face*

Transparency