Yo, Chubs, Let's Go For a Run.

It sucks to be an overweight athlete.  Body of a cherub, heart of Wonder Woman and all that.

Obvious reasons include - squeezing into spandex, finding appropriate clothing that is cut in a flattering and covering way, being slow (dang is THAT ever frustrating)...swelling of the feet and ankles (stuffing my club feet into tennis shoes is a challenge at times), bra strap fat, muffin top, etc.

Less obvious reasons include - being constantly on a diet but constantly burning so many calories that I'm always HANGRY.  I can't win.  I volley back and forth between thinking I'm not eating enough to trying new stupid diets.  I've done the Renegade Diet, South Beach, Weight Watchers (points ad nausea), Low Carb, Low Fat, Calorie Cycling, Carb Cycling, Road Cycling...oh wait that's not a diet.  But you get the picture.

Recently I cut *most* of the dumb-dumb calories out.  Dumb-dumb calories are the ones you ingest that make you want to then eat something salty to go with.  Beer, alright.  Beer.  And yes, if I have a beer I want a plate of nachos to go with it.  I'm like the mouse and the cookie, dang.

So a month ago I cut that consumption by 75%.  No change in  my weight.  What the actual heck?

Most diets want me to eat only 1200 calories per day.  To put it in perspective, yesterday I biked 15 miles (500 calories) walked 5 miles (200 calories) and swam 1.5 miles (300 calories)...my Basal Metabolic Rate (the calories I burn just existing in a 24 hour period) is 1400 calories.  So...500+200+300+1400 = 2400 calories burned yesterday.  I stuck to my diet, went to bed hungry and have nearly eaten two of my co-workers today.

Will I be lighter for any of my efforts.  Probably not.

In addition to 7-9 hours of triathlon training per week, I do weight bearing exercises twice a week for 30 minutes -- push ups, squats, step ups, deadlift and lats.  I have a job where I walk 4-5 miles in my 8 hour work day.  I eat all of my veggies most days.  I take a probiotic, fish oils and make coconut oil and/or water a part of my diet.  I sleep 7-8 hours each night.  I meditate and read my Bible every morning.  I pet a cat on a daily basis for corn sake...I belong to a church, I'm married, I have kids, friends, family - I am about as spiritually and emotionally healthy as a person can GET.

Why, why, why, why, WHY am I still overweight?

What am I missing??  I'm officially sick and tired of it.  I'm thinking about meeting with a Nutritionist to see if they can steer me in the right direction.  Frankly, with my big weight loss of 70 pounds about 12 years ago and my loss of 40 post baby pounds 5 years ago - I figured I knew all there was to know about diet and exercise.  I've had 100's of day streaks on MyFitnessPal - that's free!  I really don't see what a Nutritionist is going to be able to tell me that I don't already know or do.

Not sure what going to a nutritionist costs - but I'll bet it's more than I can afford.  *blurb*  I guess there are worse things than being a chubby Triathlete.  As long as I live healthy and am mobile for many years to come, that's really my goal.  Right?  Right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Woohoo for Week Two + *sad face*

Lincoln Marathon Race Report

Last Blast Lincoln Y Tri Race Report