Don't Smash Your Face

Monday - Upper Body Strength Training & Swim Technique Work

I hadn't done P90X Shoulders & Arms for a while.  I love Tony Horton, I think he's really funny and his no-nonsense approach really gets me motivated.  His tip of the day was "breathe" but later in the workout, he joked that it was "don't smash your face."  I made the mistake last week with Legs & Back, thinking that I wasn't working especially hard and paying for it the next day.  And the next day.

After working out with Tony and the fabulous Dreya Weber I made sure to add some BCAA's to my recovery drink.  I have read the ingredients on a lot of recovery formulas and I'm confident that my home spun version is just as good and more easily adjusted to the intensity/duration of the workout I just finished.

Andrea's Recovery Drink
1c. 1% milk (1.5c for men)
1/2 scoop protein powder (1 full scoop for men)
10g of BCAA powder (15g for men)

Shake up and drink as fast as you can...because BCAA powder is incredibly bitter no matter what flavor they tell you it is.  You don't need the BCAA's every day - just after especially long or intense training sessions.

Haven't heard of Branched Chain Amino Acids?  They will totally change the way you recover from hard workouts.  This little supplement reduces the chemicals that are released when your muscles are damaged.  Ever heard of the DOMS?  Delayed onset muscle soreness?  That's the "holy crap I can't sit on the toilet" feeling you get after leg day.  BCAA's help reduce that tremendously by managing the damage you just did.  Damage is good -- actually -- because that's how you build mass and strength, but too much - too sore -  can't work out the next day - not so good.

So, hopefully I will be able to lift my arms to do some swimming later today.  I take my 12 year old daughter with me to help with technique work.  She kicks like crazy with the kick board, so it motivates me to keep up.  I have a pretty weak-sauce kick.

In between that time, just a bunch of laundry and trying to clean a 5 year old's room with a 22 month old's help.  Yep.  Should be a piece of cake.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lincoln Marathon Race Report

Woohoo for Week Two + *sad face*

Maximum Pressure - Achieved