Sunday, June 8, 2014

IronMorton 70.3 Race Report

I think I will take a break from feverishly memorizing VBS Drama Skits and write up our experiences from yesterday.  It was a very long day, as anticipated, and I am so grateful it's all over!

We didn't have to get up insanely early -- I had an alarm set for 5:45, but my husbands internal alarm went off much earlier.  He woke me up to tell me it was 5:06, thinking that I had set my alarm for 5:00.  Gratefully, never late.  I had my standard pre-long haul breakfast of half a peanut butter sandwich and a cup of coffee.

It was absolutely pouring rain when we left for the YMCA.  We wore rain ponchos to cover our back-packs and precious contents within.  As far as getting wet -- we were going to jump in the pool anyway.  It's only about a mile or so to the Y from our house, so it was just annoying more than anything.

We had to wait about 10 minutes for the guard to arrive and open the pool.  It was a good time to take a goofy picture or two and nervously side glance each other with thoughts of "gee this seemed like a good idea a few months ago."  I wasn't worried about the swim.  Just wanted to use it as a warm up.  I shed my bike jersey and jumped in wearing my tri-shorts and sports bra.  Nobody around but my hubby -- good for them, ha!

David and I both learned something very important in the first 50 yards.  I learned that my tri-shorts have a drawstring in them...I swam down for my first flip turn and when I pushed off the wall they "slipped."  David learned that he still had his phone in the pocket of his shorts.  Thankfully it was in a plastic zip top bag to avoid wetness from the rain.  THANKFULLY.

The swim was great.  David was done with the 2100 yards about 4 minutes before I was.  I finished and slurped an energy gel.  We got our bike gear back on and headed out to our wet bikes and the wet streets.  It had mostly stopped raining, more like misting, as we left town.  By the time we got to Denton (about 15 miles in) the rain had entirely cleared and if I hadn't been wet from the pool, the weather would have been just right.  The roads were wet and made us a muddy mess, but that's the breaks.

Our halfway stop was about Crete, Nebraska.  I had been consuming calories every 15 minutes during the ride.  I had a bottle of Perpetuem and a bottle of water on my bike.  My Camelbak was loaded with 40 ounces of Cytomax and I had two Clif bars in my pocket.  Throughout the 56 mile bike ride I consumed all of that save some of the water.  Including the gel that I had after the swim, I consumed about 1100 calories on the swim and bike.

We turned north on Highway 77 to come back to Lincoln and the wind was straight out of the north about 25 miles per hour.  It felt like we were barely moving.  We did have a flat tire, but fortunately I ride with the Fastest Tube Changer in the West.  Back on our way, we rode home and were grateful to get off the bikes.

Here's where there is a distinct disadvantage to doing a Homespun event.  We were HOME.  We transitioned in our lovely bedroom with our comfy bed.  I could have laid down and taken a nap!  In fact, I was yawning quite a bit as we changed.  I changed my shirt, hat and shoes and stuffed three gels in my top and we were off on the run.

As we took off, David had some awful stomach pain.  He did his level best to run through it, but we did some walking here and there and finally just walked the last nine miles of the run.  I took gels on my same schedule of 3, 7 and 11 miles and had my hydration belt full of water.  I stopped at a gas station halfway and ate the most delightful bag of plain potato chips under the sun.  I normally don't even like potato chips, but I discovered during Marathon training, the power of having something salty and crunchy late in the miles when all you've had is sweet and squishy all day!  I had 500 calories in the form of gels and chips, on the run.

We finished together and came home for a big glass of BCAA's to combat post event soreness.  David soaked his feet in cold water and I took a full on ice bath.  The kids had made pizza and we spent the evening relaxing.

Today, we are laying around doing nothing.  I don't feel terribly bad.  My hips are pretty sore, probably from all the walking.  Walking uses way different muscles than running does.  David has a couple of blisters, but we are both doing pretty darn good!  We can add a check mark in the box next to this item on our Bucket List.  DONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment