Let Me Be Light!

I've been pondering the concept of endurance.

On Sunday, I will run my first Marathon. The concept of endurance isn't entirely foreign to me.  I've run multiple Half Mary's, done a Century Ride and a Sprint and Olympic distance triathlon.  Pain is irrelevant.  Finishing is King.  Just keep moving.

Being a parent is also very much like endurance sport.  There always seems to be task after task that requires energy, mental or otherwise. Fatigue is irrelevant.  Getting to the pillow at night is King.  Just keep moving until the obligations are all done...and the kids are in bed!

And so it will be these next few days.  I had an unfortunate dental incident on Wednesday, and will need to run, on Sunday, with my very cracked tooth.  If you call it 'good news' - I have an appointment to have my naughty tooth extracted on Monday morning..  I'm trying not to freak out.  I had a bad experience, that caused dental surgery to trigger "Extreme Freak Out Mode."  I'm sure it will be okay.  Heck, at least that tooth will never hurt me again!

Trying to stay positive.

With sore legs from running 26.2 miles and a sore mouth from having a molar extracted, I will be required to attend Open House at Culler Middle School on Monday evening.  I hope that I get some pain pills so that I can at least pretend to be normal as I meet teachers and walk all over the place.  I'm sure putting that desire out there wasn't the most sane thing - but hey, I'm fixin' to be a Momathoner = not sane anyhow.

As a multi-sport enthusiast and parent, I've learned equal endurance from each one.  One teaches me more about the other.  Of this Monday excursion, I think - "If I can run 26.2 miles, then I can live through the aftermath with a tooth pulled and a school open house."  Of the Marathon, I can cite our extreme sleep deprivation surrounding our 4th child's first 18 months of life...if I can live through that (and complete 18-wks of training including all of my long runs) I can certainly run 26.2 miles.

Life is an endurance sport.

The key, for me, is to put aside self pity.  I could easily sit down and ponder the injustices of my schedule, blame others for their untimely nature, wallow in regret over my faulty teeth, and feel ashamed of the extra pounds I carry that make all of this a little harder than it really needs to be.

No.  I will not be that type of energy.  Let me be light!!

My life demands light, and plenty of it.  My Heavenly Father gave me a strong back and a strong mind.  All
of these jobs He sees me doing are use of that.

Everyone gets tired.  Life is tiring.

Lord, let me never get tired of LIVING!

Please pray for the police officers and volunteers taking care of us silly runners on Sunday morning.  They will all be out there way longer than any of us.  Mostly unpaid.

Have a delightful weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lincoln Marathon Race Report

Woohoo for Week Two + *sad face*

Maximum Pressure - Achieved