Monday, March 11, 2013

Finding My Strong

I'm so happy to write this today!  Last Monday, I had to give a positive spin on another disappointing situation with my training.  Since I signed up to run my very first Marathon, things have not gone off without a hitch.  However, this Monday, I get to report something that went very well!

I knew that I was ready to run a brand new longest distance, but this is my first marathon so I've had some new muscle twinges and pangs that have made me cautious - and quite friendly with my foam roller.  I wasn't entirely sure about the weather - the forecast showed low 40's and a 70% chance of rain most of the day.  This didn't seem like the kind of run you can just lace up and hit the road for.  Things need to be right.

So...I weighed all of my options and ran fourteen miles on the treadmill.  Murphy's Laws are for real, folks, because it didn't rain at all on Saturday. To those, like my hubby, who rode and ran outdoors that day - you're welcome.

Speaking of my Knight in Shining Marathon Sherpa Armour - David kept things running smooth while I plodded along for hours.  He took the kids to gymnastics, met my Mom there and brought everybody home afterward.  I assume he fed them all breakfast and got their teeth brushed...right honey?

Running long on the 'mill takes preparation.  I rented two movies and had two full bottles of water and a few gels handy.  I tacked the foot pod to my shoe and launched my Garmin application to *somewhat* keep track of distance - but more importantly heart rate.  And then I just ran.   And I ran.  And I just kept running.  I started at 6am, so I didn't even have any company until I was 10 miles in.  I did stop every mile or so to stretch out my IT band a little...and of course I took my one minute speed-walking breaks at each mile.  The debilitating knee pain from last week never showed up.  I was slower than usual, but I really don't care.

Afterward, I had the 'pleasure' of taking my 2nd ever ice-bath.  Yes, it is what it sounds like.  I filled the tub with cold water, added ice, and sat in it for 10 minutes.  I wore a sweater and a hat and drank hot coffee while experiencing this inflammation reducing post-long run joy.  My feet were probably the happiest about the whole thing.  Imagine the sound of putting a hot match in water.  KSSHHH!

As far as recover went, there was very little soreness.  My calves were tight the rest of the day, and I did use some bio-freeze and rubbed them out that evening.  Yesterday I gingerly climbed hopped on my road bike for a hour on the trainer before church and did some yoga last night.  No joint pain or soreness at all and my feet feel fine.  I'm still a little stiff and sore in the calves, but I plan to swim today and that helps so much.

At this point, I'm cautiously optimistic about running my first Marathon on May 5th.  After spending the month of January with two bouts of cellulits, I wasn't sure that I would have enough time to train.  I think that starting out with a base of regular long runs of 8 miles or more on the weekends was my saving grace.  Yikes, I might just be able to do it!

I will leave you with the song that I bought for myself after completing my run.  I felt like I earned a whole XL cup 'o street cred by running this far.  Or at least a song from iTunes for $1.29.  Gotta toot my own horn a bit.  Toot-toot, peanut butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment