Hill Work, Friends, and a Recipe

I went out and slayed a beast yesterday.

It's odd - but I love running hills.  Here in Nebraska, we DO have hills...but you have to go and look for them.  You won't find them on the bike trail network that runs through our city - those were built on old train track routes and are annoyingly flat.

My recommendation is to find a big overpass with a pedestrian path and run up, run back down, turn around and repeat.  My back was really hating me last night - but I think it had less to do with the hill repeats and more to do with the sitting on my behind and visiting for hours directly following.

YUM!
I was pretty excited to have dinner with someone that I've known longer than my husband! It's nice to chat with someone that knows the "back story" to everything you've done in the last 10 years. :)  Yes, she still hangs out with me,
Heaven only knows why.


And knowing that I take pictures of everything and post it, mercilessly, on my blog for the world to see, she STILL posed for a few photos.  Now THATS a good friend, folks!


We both left children behind when we went out last night.  Yes, we are just that mean.  It's been really nice to keep up a regular schedule of eating together once a month - I don't even have that with my husband!  Hmm...point to ponder.

I left my family with a new Meatloaf recipe that I took from Cooking Light Magazine. It was very similar to my own, with a few more spices.  The recipe calls for cubed cheddar cheese - but David said he couldn't taste it - it was just an added splash of color.  Also, I think that any commercial breadcrumb would do rather than buying french bread, cutting it up and baking it.

I also doubled this recipe and baked it in a 9x13 pan. Enough to feed a family of 6 with leftovers for hubby to take to work the next day.  I served this with steamed Brussels Sprouts.

All-American Meat Loaf (adapted from Cooking Light Magazine March 2012)

1 1/2oz French bread, torn into peices
1/2c ketchup, divided
1c chopped onion
5T chopped parsley, divided
1/4 buttermilk
1T minced Garlic
1T Dijon mustard
1/2t black pepper
1/4t salt
2oz sharp cheddar cheese, diced
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1lb ground beef

Preheat oven to 350.  Place bread in food processer, pulse until coarse crumbs measure 1c.  Bake at 350 for 6 minutes or til lightly toasted.

Combine breadcrumbs, 1/4c ketchup, onion 3T parsley and remaining ingredients; gently mix just until combined.

Transfer to loaf pan sprayed with cooking spray.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  Brush top with remaining 1/4c ketchup and bake additional 25 minutes or until temp registers 160.  Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.  Sprinkle with remaining parsley for garnish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lincoln Marathon Race Report

Woohoo for Week Two + *sad face*

Maximum Pressure - Achieved