Just Here for the Conversation


I went to the Fallbrook YMCA this morning rather than the Downtown location.  I needed to fit in a swim and a bike today, and while I like the pool better Downtown, they don't have spin bikes.  The stationary bikes are okay - but they only have 3 and they are always occupied by someone barely peddling while reading a magazine.

Which brings me to my ROD - Rant of the Day.

Folks who come to the gym and occupy space but don't really work out.

Now, let me preface this by saying that when I started exercising, I weighed 230lbs and smoked a pack a day.  I couldn't even get through a 30 minute Sweatin' to the Oldies DVD.  Well, back then it was on VHS...but you get the picture.  I'm not being judgy-wudgy, I am glad that they are doing something but these examples are annoying me:

  • The two women that "water walk" and take up an entire lane chatting.  Water walking is GREAT exercise.  However, floating and barely propelling yourself with the errant foot tap to the bottom of the pool will burn exactly 6 calories.  In the meantime, there are people that would like to use the pool.
  • The two dudes that occupy side by side recumbent bikes and talk REALLY LOUDLY.  Riding the recumbent bike is GREAT exercise.  But barely pedaling while checking out much younger women while making sure we all know the gory details of your recent colonoscopy will burn exactly 3 calories.  And...I'm still waiting for a bike...
  • source
  • The woman on the treadmill that is walking and talking on her cell phone.  I have been guilty of answering a phone call while on the treadmill.  I had to stop running and quickly see what the emergency was, hang up and continue my workout.  But, honey, chatting with your BFF while the treadmill is set on 2mph with an incline of zero, is going to burn exactly 10 calories.  Yes, you get points for actually moving your body - but a serious detraction for being rude.  You do know that everything echos in there, right?
So sue me - I'm a little peeved today.  Maybe I'm just jealous.  I don't have a workout partner. *cry*  My husband and I run races together sometimes, but we don't get to train together much.  If I did have somebody to workout with, I would hope that they would push me to new levels.  I'm sure there would be some chattin' going on - but hopefully more training than chatting!  I don't care if you want to talk while you get your sweat on - just don't forget to SWEAT!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lincoln Marathon Race Report

Woohoo for Week Two + *sad face*

Maximum Pressure - Achieved