Goals and Treats

What is it about this time of year that makes me want to eat junk food??

HONESTLY.

I'm still getting my workouts in - but just can't seem to stay away from the junk.  Oh well, trying to push more veggies to balance it out and STAYING OFF THE SCALE until January 1st.

Nothing is a as good of a reason to over indulge than an extra pound or two on the stupid scale.  Not. Playing. That. Game.

Moving right along...let's talk goals for 2012.

This year, for the first time, my goals will have nothing to do with the pull of gravity on my body or the composition, thereof.  Here's the way I figure it:

2009 - lost 20 pounds
2010 - lost 20 pounds
2011 - lost 10 pounds
2012 - I'm due for 10 more, right?

Keep sweating, keep working, keep NOT worrying.  I sometimes think that I am the world's slowest loser.  OH WELL.  I lose.

I do have a couple of goals for the new year.  In 2011, I learned to swim and started cycling.  In 2012, I will be completing my first Triathlon, Lord willing.  I've really enjoyed being a more well-rounded athlete (pun intended) and have noticed gains in strength and flexibility.  Not to mention - it is SO FUN!

So I decided that my 2012 goal would be centered around my new love for mulit-sport.  I want to swim/bike/run 1000 miles in 2012.  When you break it down, it looks a something like this:

5% Swimming or 50 miles.
60% Cycling or 600 miles.
35% Running or 350 miles.

I thought this seemed like a pretty good goal until I did the math.  The swimming only works out to 1 mile (1600yds-ish) per week - I currently do that every Monday.  The cycling is only 12 miles per week (which I am doing more than each Saturday) and the running is 7 miles per week (which I crush on my long run).

While the 1000 mile goal would definitely be a S.M.A.R.T goal - it won't stretch me much.

CRUD.

I am a little afraid of the implications of all this. I like round numbers - and a 25% increase would not make nice round numbers...and a 50% increase might not be "A" in the acronym.  Maybe better to deal with oblong numbers.  Like this:

1250 miles in 2012 like this:

62.5 miles in the pool
750 miles on the bike
437.5 miles on these old legs

*shudder*  Those are some U.G.L.Y. numbers.  They are also numbers that scare me just a little.  Numbers that would take some effort to achieve.  1250 miles in 2012 is a goal that would stretch me.

I like it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lincoln Marathon Race Report

Woohoo for Week Two + *sad face*

Maximum Pressure - Achieved