Dear Dad

My Dad and Mom's Engagement Photo 1973
Posted by Picasa

My dad passed away in December 1998 after battling lung cancer for almost 2 years. Our oldest son was born that year, Dad saw him a few times but the cancer had spread to his brain by that time - so I'm not sure if he really saw him.

Lately I've been having dreams about him. He's there, but he's not. I see him at a family function, but can't get to him to talk to him. I find "evidence" of him working on stuff at my house (he was a carpenter), but can't find him anywhere. Something is going on in my brain, and I s'pose I need to get this off my chest. So here it is...

Dear Dad,

I miss you. I wish you could meet our oldest son now, you would really like him. He is extraordinarily bright and would be able to talk Sci-Fi with you all day. He loves to read and is now playing baseball! Our oldest daughter would surly have had you all wrapped up. She is a little snarky and so very pretty - just the way you like them.

Life has been very busy in the last 5 years - I finally got married to a man who loves me very much. I met him at church, can you believe it!? He treats me like a princess and loves Liam and Alahnnah more than anything. We've had TWO more babies and bought our first house. You would be SO in love with our new babies!! Susan is 4 now and follows Alahnnah around in word and deed. Cameron is a boy's boy - he LOVES any sport that has to do with a ball and builds towers out of blocks all day.

Dad, I love you so much. I wish you could see me now. I am finally okay. I quit smoking and have even lost weight. I sometimes think of what you would say if you could tell me you were proud of me. I go for long runs sometimes and when it gets really hard, I think of you. I am training for my 3rd Half Marathon - pretty crazy, huh?

Rick is working for Don this summer and getting a dose of construction work. Dad, he is such a wonderful kid. I try to tell him about you so that he doesn't forget. Every chance I get, I mention you - our Dad. I keep your memory alive by telling the kids about you to. I make sure to pass down your jokes!

I think about you all the time. It used to be every day - but life gets busy, and you've been gone so long. Every time I hear a circular saw, smell sawdust, or see an old guy pouring a concrete driveway or working on a roof, I strain my neck trying to see you. I wish you could come over to my house and "bug" me about what needs fixed.

The biggest news is that I am a believer in Christ Jesus, now! I realized that no matter what I did, I still needed Him. So that means that I will get to go to Heaven when I leave this place, and I will get to see you again! I'll bet you will be wearing a t-shirt, blue jeans and a cap. Your ice blue eyes will be shining and you will hug me tight. I'm pretty excited about that.

Well, that's all for now. I have to go and make lunch. I can't wait to see you again, right after I meet Jesus - you understand.

Love,

Annie Kay



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lincoln Marathon Race Report

Woohoo for Week Two + *sad face*

Maximum Pressure - Achieved