This Old Battleship

Yesterday I conquered fear of the unknown and went for a little lap swimming. I did my research, www.BeginnerTriathlete.com so that I would know the distance I should be able to cover and what rest breaks I should take to not get totally exhausted - and it worked! I could have swam more after the 30 minutes, but decided to work the plan in place like a good girl (I hope my Doctor reads this!)

I swam what sorta looked like this:



I did a little warm up of a few laps, then swam 50 yards continuously with nice little breaks in between. Swimming is very different than running. There was a great deal of rhythm required in my stroke to make it efficient. I concentrated on making my body straight (horizontally) in the water, and disturbing the surface of the water as little as possible. I ended up with 800yds.

I wanted to do the front crawl like I've seen others do - but I had forgotten my ear plugs. When I was a kid, I had an inner ear infection from getting water in my ears. I was very sick, and my ear drum burst. After that, I was the kid with the ear plugs at the pool. Turning my head to breathe seems like prime time for water entry.

Plus, I'm afraid of rotary breathing.

I decided to practice that on land - in the comfort of my own home - to try to get the rhythm. It's pretty scary in the water...I tried.

Tomorrow I'm going for a little bike ride. 5:30am, one and a half hours on the bike, wish I could run instead. Next Tuesday, I will be able to do 4 miles, and then the bike for another 45 minutes. Will I miss the bike time?? Do I think I might grow up to be a tri-athlete? Just how crazy can I get before anyone really notices? Do these sweatpants make my butt look big?

Stay tuned.

Comments

  1. I'm proud of you! You are doing great! Rotary breathing can be scary, and I notice that I am a lot less adventurous in the water than I was when I was 10, lol. :) But how much time did we spend in the pool back then? I'm sure as you swim more you'll become a little braver. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so dang brave to do the whole swimming thing. I used to be such a water baby but have taken it in - not in *dislike* exactly, but *aversion* - as I've grown older.

    My daughter became a triathlete after reading "Slow Fat Triathlete". It really inspired her. If my daughter - who is the last person I would have thought would do a tri - can do it and love it, anyone can.
    Though she's a freak and says swimming is the easy part. Like as IF!!!! =D
    No. Your butt never looks big.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lincoln Marathon Race Report

Woohoo for Week Two + *sad face*

Transparency