Happy New Year 2011

Welcome to the New Year! What a fantastic opportunity we have to start new. I know it sounds cliche - but making resolutions isn't all that bad. The key is to start slowly or just build on what you've already started the year before. Don't take on to much!

One of my main goals for this year is to limit my sugar intake. It seems simple, but it's a slippery slope for me. Taking a closer look, I can see that even my protein bars have a second ingredient of "evaporated cane juice." Sneaky. I don't do sugar substitutes (one of last years goals), so I need to really think about when my body actually needs sugar.

I've read that for the first hour after a hard workout, eating or drinking something with carbohydrates (sugar), to replenish glycogen in the muscles and protein to help build it back will speed recovery. Some choose chocolate milk (skim), some count on recovery drinks. I prefer 1 cup of skim milk with 1 tablespoon of honey. Good, simple, food for recovery.

Posture is another thing on my list of 2011 improvements. I tend to sit with my shoulders hunched forward, and still stand like a pregnant girl with my back arched. I've worked hard this last year on controlling chronic pain in my lower back - I really think focusing on my posture will help.

One more simple thing (all in my head, really) that I'm working on this year is acting and visualizing myself as I would like to be. Last year was great! I lost 40lbs and started running again. But somehow I keep seeing myself as an overweight couch potato. I still have 30lbs to loose - but with a 6 day a week workout schedule - I am far from a couch potato. I need to start associating myself with athletes. Instead of chatting about binge eating on the 3FatChicks forums, I'm headed over to DailyMile and RunKeeper to talk about speed work and PR's.

I'm hoping that these changes in my attitude with help me reach my goal weight this year. I also decided to stop weighing myself every day. In essence, I'm going to try to Diet Like a Man.


I think a change of attitude will go a long way towards helping me reach my goals.

1. Run Lincoln Half Marathon sub 2:30 on 5/1/11
2. Complete another round of P90X to cut 5% body fat.
3. Learn to swim effectively with rotary breathing.

Yeah - that should take me most of the year. Hopefully, in all of that, I will shed this last 30lbs to boot. But weight isn't going to be a major part of my goals. I'm currently obsessed with what Sr. Scale says - and everybody knows he's a dirty, rotten pendejo anyway. Change will do me good.

One more video because it's a new year.



Happy New Year!!

Comments

  1. Yay for new year's goals! I think all these goals sound awesome! I'm sure you'll kick it in the pants in 2011! BTW--I liked the "Diet like a man" video, lol!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lincoln Marathon Race Report

Woohoo for Week Two + *sad face*

Maximum Pressure - Achieved