Doing a Lupron Dance

Remember that song by the Pointer Sisters from the 80's...


Okay -- maybe it was Neutron Dance not Lupron Dance but still... this is what's been in my head today. I saw my OB/GYN for my yearly checkup, and we talked about my troubles that have returned with payback. Pregnancy is a great cure for endometriosis, but you can't stay preggers or nursing forever.

Or at least I can't.

Two years ago I was on the eve of another (the 3rd) laparoscopy to remove the dreaded stuff. God decided that we needed Cameron instead of another surgery. I knew that things would get bad again and we'd revisit.

Last time we talked about Lupron, it was relatively new and I was a little scared of it. It is hormone therapy that "shuts off" the estrogen, thereby putting you in a somewhat menopausal state. We wanted more children fairly soon at that point, so I didn't want to go jacking around with things.

At this point, I can't say that we don't want more children...only that I don't want to give birth to them. On that, I am pretty sure. Another new development is the addition of a progesterone "add-back" that helps prevent the severity of the side effects.

It's still a little scary. For the next 2-4 weeks, things will get worse than they have ever been. The drug acts to overload me with estrogen and plug the receptors - thereby shutting them off. Doc offered to call me in some narcotic pain relievers if it gets to be to much. She told me just to call if I need them. Now there's a vote of confidence...

I have decided not to read up on all the side effects and such. I think I will simply let my experience speak for itself. Sometimes one can over-research things and get into mental trouble. I do understand that some folks feel a little crazy on this therapy and can't handle the mood swings...that sounds like a normal day around here! ;)

Anyhow...feeling strange. I don't like making chemical changes to my mind and body (anymore). The ones in my 20's were much more interesting. Heh, heh, heh...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lincoln Marathon Race Report

Woohoo for Week Two + *sad face*

Maximum Pressure - Achieved