So I Can See

I love music. Anything, really. I can groove on some hip-hop, twang to some country, kick back to some easy listening. My favorite is good old Rock and Roll! When I became a Christian a few years ago, the music was what really grabbed me. The lyrics and the feeling that is in those tunes really brought a relationship with Christ into focus for me.


I used to be really afraid of people. I wouldn't even get out of my car to pay for gasoline if I could possibly use the pay at the pump option. It was hard for me to call the utilities to ask for an extension or anything like that! I had this "damn the Man" attitude.


I had been in a relationship where he had beat me down emotionally and physically for so long that I thought that everyone was out to get me. After all that's what the person that was supposed to love and protect me and my children told me. I wasn't allowed out much or to drive myself anywhere – unless it served his purposes. And I scarcely even had a job that we didn't share.


Consequently I hated people. They scared me. I held onto that even through counseling after the relationship ended, and when I became a Christian I learned that God loves everyone, so I should to. Hard thing to do. Just go down to your local Wal-Mart and you'll run into enough angry, all bent up people to ruin your day.


It wasn't until I was truly able to forgive my ex for what he had done to me that I began to see people the way that God does. When I was bitter and unforgiving I was concentrating on fault. As my bitterness faded and I was able to allow the Holy Spirit to heal those wounds that no amount of time could, I began to see even the most angry, foul mouthed, empty people as they began – soft, beautiful, sweet and full of life.


So here's a new song that came out that is really great and says it all. It's sort of hip-hop and I really like the way this guy gives rhythm to the words.


Give Me Your Eyes by Brandon Heath

(chorus)

Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me your love for humanity
Give me your arms for the broken-hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me your heart for the ones forgotten
Give me your eyes so I can see


This a great prayer to start the day and no matter who you run into – if you have this attitude – you can have peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lincoln Marathon Race Report

Woohoo for Week Two + *sad face*

Transparency