My Divided Heart

Wow! What an absolutely spectacular day we had here in good old Nebraska yesteday! It was 80 degrees and sunshiney. Our children played out back with the hose in thier swimsuits.
It was so nice to be off at 2:00 and be able to come home, work in the yard have time to cook dinner, clean up and actually be able to talk to my kids. Alahnnah made me a sign that said "Mommy, you r a axpert at coocing. Love Alahnnah". I guess she really liked dinner!

So here's a verse that's on my mind today. Psalm 86:11

Teach me your way, O LORD,
and I will walk in your truth;
give me an undivided heart,
that I may fear your name.

What I was looking at was the bit about the "undivided heart". God wants my heart to be for him and him alone. It's easy for me, being raised in a Judeo-Christian society, to not have any other gods before Him. But what about things that I elevate to godhood and come before him?

For me it's stuff like business. Doing this, going there, involved, participating, competing, training, busy busy busy. I always think "gee, I really need to have a quiet time every day to read my Bible" but I don't do it. I'm too busy! A few times a week I try to read before bed instead of whatever novel I'm reading. But let's face it, but the end of the day, I can't comprehend much!

There's another verse in Matthew 6:24 that talks about how you can't serve two masters. Ever had two bosses (or five like me?), you definitelly have your favorite. And you have to pick who to listen to all the time right? I go by who's the oldest in my situation because they are all related, but what about other stuff. Who do you pick to listen to?

What about God and money, or food, or shopping, or television, or cigarettes, or business? Wow, am I serving the god of business by not making time everyday to read my Bible?

Arg. I hate questions like this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lincoln Marathon Race Report

Woohoo for Week Two + *sad face*

Transparency