The Meat of the Matter

Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
Matthew 5:8 ***Click here to read all of the Beatitudes!***

Purity! Purity? Purity. Sounds like this purity thing gets us the blessings! I want to see God, sure – put purity? Seems like a tall order. Where do I start? For me I start with what I allow to enter into my eyes and ears. In short, media sources. I’m not saying that I sit around in a dark room and listen to hymns and read only the Bible (sounds kinda nice though – would the kids have to be there?), but I am saying that we have to be very careful of what watch and read these days.

I try to apply the same standards to what I am “allowed” to watch and read as what I allow for my children. Granted, I am more mature and more able to handle complex themes such as death, family issues, etc. But for the most part, I don’t need to be watching CSI, Desperate Houswives or The Young and the Restless either. I used to be really into horror movies, ooh – and action “shoot ‘em up” movies. I saw things and learned about concepts that I would have otherwise never been exposed to. Sometimes I think about a scene from one of these shows and it makes me feel scared, embarrassed, ashamed, or just plain sick to my stomach.

I want to keep my mind and heart pure and open for the use of God. I don’t need a bunch of junk off of the tube messing up my blessings. Besides, I do that enough all on my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lincoln Marathon Race Report

Woohoo for Week Two + *sad face*

Maximum Pressure - Achieved