No Spare Rods Here

He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him.
Proverbs 13:24

Well, I don’t recall beating either of the older children this weekend, but I’m not really sure of anything after my head exploded except David feeding me chocolate and rocking me in my straight jacket. Seriously, it seemed like we were all over my 9 year old this weekend. So much so, that we both said we were going to try to cut the poor kid some slack this morning. He just argues with everything we say!!

I looked up this verse because sometimes I just want to give them everything they want so that they will be happy (and shut up). But I know that’s not right, not the way to raise considerate, well rounded adults. I suppose a steady diet of pizza, pop and frosted flakes would probably cause heart disease and obesity and then THAT would be our fault too. And maybe a little tv is good, but if we let them sit there constantly then it would be OUR fault that they were scrubbing toilets in the New York subway instead of teaching or doctoring or lawyering.

Well, maybe I’m a little overly dramatic, but I do believe that disciplining our children in the true way that we show them love. They might not get it at the time, but they will. I know that I finally “get it” – thanks Mom!

Have a great week!!
Andrea

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lincoln Marathon Race Report

Woohoo for Week Two + *sad face*

Maximum Pressure - Achieved